Tax-Aid Checklist

Income Records

  • PAYG Payment Summaries (Group Certificates): Your employer should issue these to you no later than July 14. If you haven't received yours by that date, then please call your employer and enquire as to when you will receive it.
  • End of year tax statement from your financial institution showing total amount of interest received from all sources. (Eg. Savings accounts, term deposits, debentures, your children's savings accounts, etc.)
  • All of your share dividend remittance advice statements.
  • End of year tax statements for pensions, Superannuation funds, managed funds, trusts, etc.
  • Records of any shares that you have sold during the tax year.
  • Rental property income records.
  • Centrelink or Department of Veterans' Affairs payment summaries.
  • Income details of your spouse and children.
  • Important - We will require bank account details.

Private Health Insurance

If you have private health insurance, make sure you have received your end of year tax statement from your health fund. Your statement will tell us if you need to claim the 30% rebate off your insurance premium in your tax return.

Last years' tax return & Notice of Assessment

If you are a first time client, it is always a good idea to bring your previous year tax return so we can find any loss amounts that may be carried forward to offset against future income. Also, bring your Notice of Assessment issued by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) so we can check for any amounts of interest paid (GIC) on overdue tax.

Current balance of your HECS or SFSS debt.

An information statement detailing the current balance of your HECS or SFSS debt will be sent to you from the ATO before June 30. To obtain more information regarding your debt please phone the ATO on 13 28 61 The current balance of your debt is required to obtain a correct refund estimate.

Receipts for tax deductions

If you are claiming a tax deduction for a work or business related expense; make sure you have the receipt, a diary entry, or some other written record to show the date of the purchase, a description of the item and the price of the item. If you use your car for work or business, it is useful to keep a logbook. A log book records odometer readings at the start of the year and the end of the year, as well as the amount of kilometres travelled for each work or business trip. Along with the log book, you should also keep records of other motor vehicle expenses such as, registration, repairs, fuel and oil, interest payments, insurance payments, etc.